Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Blog Post 1


Thus far, I view them more or less equally, the reason being that both candidates will have a certain amount that they’re going to say (the other guy is going in the wrong direction, here, look at me, I’m a family man, etc.). After having seen Mitt Romney and having a rather impassioned, lengthy discussion with my heavily conservative (she’d say Libertarian) girlfriend, I’d have to say that the issues that I have been exposed to have little bearing on the office of the president. For example, on the issue of gay marriage, Obama has come out in support, whereas Romney has been silent (so far as I know). She put forth that that isn’t exactly an issue which the president would deal with; it’s more of a state issue. Upon reflection, I’d have to agree, so I’m forced to conclude that the articles and commercials up until this point haven’t actually given me serious information about the candidate’s position on more executive issues. All that I can be sure of is that we are swimming in our debt and that we may or may not be slowing it.

So, in other words, not much at all.

Therefore, I would like the candidate’s opinions on issues on which they will personally have a lot of influence. The first among these issues, I think, is our foreign policy, i.e. the troops remaining overseas in the Middle East. Of course, I could guess based on their party affiliation that Romney would be in favor of leaving the troops overseas, and Obama would be in favor of bringing them back. However, we are not out of the Middle East (though he did take them out of Iraq). So, obviously we can’t judge based on basic party affiliation. In addition, I would like to know the plan to lower the debt, create jobs, and deal with Medicare and Social Security.

No comments:

Post a Comment